Sunday, February 28, 2016

Forever in Pretend Land

We've all heard the countless quotes that have gone around about being 'Just a mom' and how that really means 'you are a waitress, teacher, photographer, psychologist, secretary, hairdresser, maid, chauffeur, nurse, referee... etc. etc.' And all that is true, but I feel like these quotes are missing a key phrase before the endless list of professions: 'I get to be.'


Playing pretend in my own little secluded world growing up, was my go to favourite pastime. It was such a big part of my life that lets just say I still did this long after my peers stopped (thank goodness I grew up in a very physically remote location). I loved LOVE playing pretend! And now, being so privileged to be a stay at home mommy, I get to pretend to do pretty well every profession one can think of! I'm a ballerina, country singer, bus driver, fashion stylist, accountant, detective, speech therapist, counsellor,  plus I have my very own cooking show. The list could go on and on ( I also pretend to be a blogger on the side;). Who else could carry on this many roles in a single day? Seriously, this gig rocks. True, it isn't really paid in money...but with all the giggles, gurgles, cuddles, snuggles and kisses from kidlets, it definitely makes up for all the missing dollar signs.

It's funny how when you're a kid you list a ton of things you want to be when you grow up, and as you age you finally realize that that all could've been said by saying just one profession: parent.



Heaven's slice is playing pretend even in adulthood!



No comments: