Friday, November 20, 2015

The Handmixer - A Lesson On Humility

This post also has to do with the silliness that is a mommy brain, but I thought I'd make it a little more serious (because I'm super melodramatic like that).



I made some lazy cake cookies a few weeks ago. Using my hand mixer, I shoved in the beaters and started at 'er on low. It was a struggling unit, so I turned it on high. As it still persisted on wrestling with the mixture, I figured the batter was just too thick. I trudged it along then called it good and unplugged it. Going in for the lick, I stopped myself and realized this was cake batter not cookie dough and I sucked my tongue back into my face. I then went on to rinse them and dunk them in some sitting water for a bit. I finished up the lazy cake cookies and started in on loading up the dishwasher, placing the beaters in the utensil rack. A few hours later I unloaded the dishes and placed the beaters back in their container, noticing that there was 2 different beaters in the dishwasher, one of which was mashed up pretty hard. I shrugged, chalking it up to a two year old playing with stuff in the pantry and putting it in the dishwasher while my back was turned. All was unloaded and kitchen cleaned when I realized I had only put 1 of 2 of the cookie beaters in the container. Not seeing it's mate in or around the dishwasher or sink, I figured I'd check in the mixer container for the other... low and behold the other one was already in there as well. It FINALLY dawned on me that I must've used two different beaters when mixing the dough, hence the struggle, hence the one bent beater I unloaded from the dishwasher.

There were at least 5 different instances where I could've and SHOULD'VE noticed my mistake.

With something as obvious and tangible as putting 2 completely different beaters in my mixer and it falling entirely unnoticed by me, I can't help but think - what other things could I be overlooking so carelessly in my life? I had played the blame game with this error insisting that the struggle must've been the cake batter's fault, the battery power, my 2 year old... then lastly, I looked at myself as the cause. How many times and how many situations have I so pridefully done this? What other instances have I quickly labeled others as pot stirrers before realizing I held the gigantic spoon in my own hand?

Humility gets thrust upon us in so many different ways, sometimes it's a heavy burden or trial... and sometimes, it's through a hand mixer.

Either way though; humility brings us the power of divinity we so deeply need in a world of constant turmoil.


"Humbly submitting our will to the Father brings us the empowerment of God—the power of humility. It is the power to meet life’s adversities, the power of peace, the power of hope, the power of a heart throbbing with a love for and testimony of the Savior Jesus Christ, even the power of redemption. " -Richard C. Edgley The Empowerment of Humility



Heaven's slice is being humble.



No comments: