Thursday, December 4, 2014

Secret Alms

a selfless act turned selfish.
When I hear someone throwing themselves into the self-persuit of fame for their "charity,"  a piece of me cringes. It's the dreaded nails on a chalk board feel of them taking a beautiful thing and defiling it. They I took what was supposed to be about the recipient and made it about them me. It is no longer charity; though benefits still apply to the recipient , the love is taken out of the equation. 

"That thine alms may be in secret; and thy Father who seeth in secret, himself shall reward thee openly."   - 3 Nephi 13:4

Truly the best most noble way to offer service (alms) to someone is to do so anonymously or hidden in a sense from the praise of others.

I have been so blessed with numerous examples of this in my life: people who have helped me with absolutely no thought or want for praise for their gesture. They just simply give because of the love they have for another. There are so many times in my life where this kindness was shown to me and I've felt the depth of the love that they are in possession of.  It is in those instances where their service in turn forced me to look toward the Savior and feel an even deeper debt of gratitude to my Heavenly Father. "But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him." - Moroni 7:47  I love this scripture more especially within the last few years because I've grown to understand why charity is the pure love of Christ. For me, it is because when a charitable service is rendered in it's purest form it turns the your heart and mind to a greater power even that of the love that Christ has for you. This is the way in which charity ought to be given, in such a way that it is not found in pride for praise from the giver, but for the recipient to be filled with love. I find it so divinely interesting that regardless of the giver or receiver being a christian or not I still can't help but feel the Saviour's love enfold me. Perhaps it is because charity speaks universally to what love is.

I must share one profound example of charity I have in my archives. She was a straight shooter, tough as nails, bold, outspoken, and at times, an aggressive person. Her kindness was in a sense hidden, so it could not be paraded, but if you watched closely you could see that she was everything that her persona tried to keep a secret... she was one of the most selfless people I knew. She found out through watching me one day that I was having a hard time. The next day I was greeted by some flowers with a simple tear-evoking note that she was thinking about me. Just prior to these flowers this same person was given the harsh news that her cancer surviving chances were minimal. Yet, she chose to take that time and effort to watch out for me and give me some sort of comfort for my hard day. It was a simple act, but it was genuine and absolutely undoubtedly selfless. Many more acts of service has this shining example not only shown me but so many others. She was a giver, and her example will never be forgotten.

This post is for me more than any. I feel overwhelmed by all the good that I have received through so many family, friends, and even strangers.  It's hard to keep your head up when practically everyone around you is caring for you at such great lengths that you don't feel worthy of. Through every act is the face of my Saviour, whom I know that I could never repay. But, just because I cannot repay, doesn't mean I can't help in the joy of passing it forward.



Heaven's slice is living charitably.


No comments: