Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Heaven

I've started to read the book Daughters in My Kingdom and I love it! It is a book put out by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the church to which I belong). I've been reading bits here and there when I get a chance and it's been an empowering upliftment to my divine nature as a woman. It's a wonderful book on the history and work of Relief Society.

"Relief Society is the oldest and largest women's organization in the world. Relief Society was established in 1842 for women 18 years of age and older. Its purpose is to build faith and personal righteousness, strengthen families and homes, and help those in need." ( I copied this definition from mormon.org which I hope is ok to do as I don't think I could have explained it any more precisely.)

There is a quote in particular contained in the book that explains how I view the word heaven in regards to this blog. It's just the perfect explanation of the slice of heaven I try to convey in my posts.

" Heaven is a place, but also a condition; it is home and family. It is understanding and kindness. It is interdependence and selfless activity. It is quiet, sane living; personal sacrifice, genuine hospitality, wholesome concern for others. It is living the commandments of God without ostentation or hypocrisy. It is selflessness. It is all about us. We need only to be able to recognize it as we find it and enjoy it...  " - Spencer W. Kimball

Heaven's slice is reading a good inspiring book.

No comments: