Saturday, March 21, 2015

9 Reasons I knew I would be a Mother


I'm gonna shake things up and give you the "last but not least" reason first. 


1.  I was born a woman.
I so wish I read this talk prior to having my little one: (Click to read it-->) Are We Not All Mothers? by Sheri L. Dew. It is the #1 reason I knew I would be a mother. Here are some of my favourite quotes from the talk:

"Of all the words they could have chosen to define her role and her essence, both God the Father and Adam called Eve “the mother of all living” —and they did so before she ever bore a child." 
 "Motherhood is more than bearing children, though it is certainly that. It is the essence of who we are as women. It defines our very identity, our divine stature and nature, and the unique traits our Father gave us."
"As daughters of our Heavenly Father, and as daughters of Eve, we are all mothers and we have always been mothers. And we each have the responsibility to love and help lead the rising generation." 


2. I enjoy listening to the same song over and over again.
I should clarify - If I really disliked the song when I originally heard it then I will NOT enjoy listing to it over and over again. When I discovered the repeat button on my first stereo I was hooked. You know who else loves hearing songs over and over again??? Kidlets!!!

3. I love to cheer and applaud.
And I get to do it throughout the day now with my toddler! It doesn't even matter what I'm cheering over, I just love clapping and giving praise no matter what. This one time I got really into a hockey game in cheering the team on. I leaned over to my husband and said, "Huh, we must be sitting with the 'away-team' fans eh?" To which he replied, "Nope." To be fair, we were in the nose bleed seating and their jerseys were pretty well the same colour... don't worry it's not like it was an NHL team; I just love cheering!

4. I love teaching. 
Not enough to have become a school teacher obviously, but I love helping someone achieve that "I actually understand now!" moment. How awesome is it in my current phase of life to get to teach things that I already know so well: colours, ABC's, names of things, animal noises, etc. Getting to teach these simple things is so stinkin fun!!

5. I'm an avid self-discoverer. 
I love finding out new things about me; what I enjoy doing and am good at, so I can focus on those things I already possess to benefit others(especially my kidlets). I can focus better on being the mommy I want to be and am, instead of jealousing over the mommy someone else is. 'Mommy guilt' isn't really something I get much of (it's ok, you can hate me...) and I think it's really because I don't compare.

6. I'm good at simplifying and staying non-busy.
I can better roll with the punches and unexpected twists and turns of motherhood because I don't make many plans or schedule much anyways. I do things on priority levels and I can easily cast off things that don't make the cut. This diffuses a lot of moments where I could be angry or resentful at the things I wanted to accomplish but couldn't because my toddler wanted/needed something entirely different. People trump things and that is that, so why pre-occupy myself with a long list of busy things to do?

7. I'm not only fine, but very comfortable being a hermit.
Honestly, if I get social interaction from even just 1 close friend once a month and it's in a grocery store, I'm good for the next 30+ days. I'm fine with kicking it at home with my kidlet and hubby 24/7, in fact it's kinda my fave.  I feel like most women desperately want that time away... but I'm weird and can do without it for very long periods of time without getting cranky.

8. I love reading children's books.
The pictures, the colours, the short paragraphs, the simple easily-understood wording, it's all just wonderful! When I'm in an in between phase of not having little ones at home or having grankids, I might just keep on buying and reading children's books. Don't be alarmed if you see me at an elementary school book fair childless...

9. I love snuggles. 
I just love it so much when my little girl wants me to hold her and snuggles on me; my heart melts and my worries cease.



Heaven's slice is knowing who you are.

No comments: