Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Roping

I really like to take the trivial things I have in my life, study out what I know about them as they apply to me, then ponder on how I can twist them into a profound life lesson.  So... I figured I'd throw roping into the ring and see what would come out.

Roping
When I was a kid I distinctly remember watching 2 girls, older than me (by like 8 years) whom I knew, breakaway rope at a rodeo. Seeing that a girl could be tough enough to rope like that and go against the grain of the stereotypical barrel racing was something that sparked a fire in me. To me they were true tom-boys, which is something I always tried to pursue as a kid; I so hated how much I loved playing dress-up, barbies, and polly pockets.

I grew a little older and this desire to rope stuck with me, so I took that first step. I asked my dad to teach me to rope. Being a rancher and rodeo cowboy, he was the perfect teacher to learn from.

He taught me the basics on how to hold, swing, throw, and coil the rope. Then he told me to start roping the dummy. I threw countless loops near that bale with little success. My dad would come back and give me more pointers and I'd continue on. A clean catch was sporadic, but I practised on. Almost daily I'd be out at the barn throwing a loop, with my dad popping in here and there to help. It took a long time, but I finally mastered roping the dummy. The next steps were swinging the rope on the horse standing, swinging the rope on the horse walking, and swinging the rope on the horse running; which were all learned fairly quickly and mastered. Then there was the next big step - roping an actual running calf off the also running horse. 

I fell off the horse... lot's. What can I say, inertia is my kryptonite. What do you do when you fall off the horse? You get back on. I was very resistant to this concept by the third or fourth consecutive fall. I was done, but my dad, by divine design, has this gift of simply and effectively getting me to do what he wants. I got back on. The horse I was using was my dad's calf roping horse. He was a bit wide for my legs to get a good hold on and very powerful. We then tried something different; I got on a different horse, his older rope horse whom he was not using as much in rodeos anymore. Success! He was little enough to get a good leg squeeze on and manageable enough to slow, quicken, and turn at my desire when chasing a calf. I fell off much less, but even though I still fall off on occasion, I know the cure for it - to get right back on.

I became a member of the High School Rodeo Association from grades 10-12. Each year I did a little better at rodeos and ended my grade 12 year going to the province's finals where I placed 2nd in the average, then was qualified for the Canadian High School Rodeo Finals and the National High School Rodeo Finals in Illinois as well- where I didn't do so well, but it was an awesome experience none the less. I continue to rope in a local rodeo association and southern circuits on occasion. I made the finals in that association a couple years back and due to my pregnancy and mommyhood only hometowned one a year the last couple years with out much success. I hate missing at rodeos, I get super down on myself and it just sucks. When this happens though it forces me to look at why I truly love roping. It's not the rodeo arena's competitive adrenaline. It's not to win that buckle. It's not the prided cowboy-hat-tucked-in-buttoned-shirt-wrangler-butt-number-on-the-back-spur-jangling-brag-without-words-of-my-cowgirlness. It's not any of that... It's spending time with my dad and learning from him. It's being on the back of that horse that I shared so many secrets to and whom I became a loyal partner in crime with. It's making a desire a reality. It's that at home feel of a rope in my hands. It's the practise arena. It's my adolescent years and one of the only things that remained a constant controllable essence of my day.

When I haven't tried roping a calf in a long time and I go back to the arena, I generally do ok, but with me, it is not something that can be picked up right where you left it. I have to practise continually to keep my skills up or have to face being a few notches behind because I have waited too long to pick up the rope. I hope to continue to rope throughout my life.

 Important life lesson
Look at the people around you. Who are you inspired by? Who do you look up to? What is the Christlike attribute that they possess that makes you want to be like them?







Once you know the trait you wish to obtain in yourself, let this desire enthral you. Then start putting it to action by asking the master teacher for help AKA pray to your Heavenly Father.


Listen to what your Heavenly Father has to say. Use your resources to begin taking steps to incorporate this trait into your life. Practise it daily through scripture study, pondering, and serving those around you. Continue to listen to your Heavenly Father's guidance through this journey of self mastery.










Acknowledge when you fall short of the task at hand and listen to your Heavenly Father's voice. Press forward after you have fallen, and continually repeat your try after every fall. If there is something that is holding you back simply change it until it works well for you.













Beware of pride with this new trait. It is not to be flaunted and paraded for others to see, it is simply for you to become closer to humility. Always remember why you started this journey to begin with. Remember what you have first started to seek and let the WHY heal your pride.








If you don't use this trait constantly you can begin to lose it. It is not something to lay aside and pick up at your convenience. It needs your constant attention. Endure to the end with this precious godly trait.




Heaven's slice is self improvement.    

                                            

2 comments:

The Brames said...

I love this. I'm so glad I stumbled across your blog!

-Mandee

Unknown said...

Awe thanks Mandee! I used to follow your blog before you went all private on me lol.